Friday, February 12, 2010

Lessons from Habakkuk...The Right Answer to the Wrong Question

Why?

This is the question that I always want answered. Why are these things happening? Or, why isn’t anything happening? Habakkuk asked that question too. Why aren’t You doing anything, God? Why doesn’t Your plan make any sense??

God never answered those questions.

It’s not that He never answers the question “Why?” But more often than not, I think maybe He’s not that concerned with our understanding the “why’s” of life. At least not until we understand the “Who.”

When Habakkuk asked, “Why?” God answered, not “Because…”, but “I am.” He reminded Habakkuk of His character and His holiness. Habakkuk’s response? “Lord, I have heard the report about You and I fear.” The same thing happened to Job. Instead of explaining to Job why things happened in his life the way they did, God answered by reminding him of His awesome power in creation. Job’s response? “I know that You can do all things, and that no purpose of Yours can be thwarted…I have heard of You by the hearing of the ear, but now my eye sees You.”

Did God ever answer the question “Why?” I don’t know. Maybe He eventually did. But Habakkuk didn’t have to wait for that answer before he could say, “Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vine, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will be joyful in God my Savior” (3:17-18) In order to have peace and joy, Habakkuk didn’t have to know why. He just had to know who. Who was in control. Who had a plan that could not be thwarted. Who was sovereign and wise and good. Because in the end, it’s not about reasons; it’s about a Person.

“The Lord is in His holy temple. Let all the earth be silent before Him.” (2:20)

1 comment: