Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Lessons from Habakkuk...Changy Man, Unchanging God

I am falling in love with Habakkuk.

Even though I can’t even pronounce the book’s name with confidence (is it phonetically legal to leave the last “k” silent?), these three little chapters that are tucked away toward the end of the Old Testament have captured my heart. I attend a women’s community Bible study, and we are currently doing a survey of the minor prophets. I confess that Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah and the like are not my typical quiet time material. But the Lord has opened my heart to the amazing message He has through these little Old Testament books.

In my study guide I was asked to write phrases or words that describe both Habakkuk and God throughout the three chapters. I was stunned by the simple yet profound truth that jumped out at me as I completed this activity.

Habakkuk…

Chapter 1 – “How long?... You do not hear me…You do not save…Why are You silent?...Why do you look with favor on those who are evil?...Why?”

Chapter 2 – “I will stand…I will keep watch to see what He will speak to me…”

Chapter 3 – “I have heard the report about You and I fear…I will rejoice in the Lord…I will be joyful in God my Savior…The Lord God is my strength…”

God…

Chapter 1 – “I am doing something...” “Are You not from everlasting, O Lord, my God, my Holy One?...Your eyes are too pure to approve evil…”

Chapter 2 – “The vision will certainly come…The earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord…the Lord is in His holy temple; let all the earth be silent before Him…”

Chapter 3 – “The Holy One comes…His splendor covers the heavens, and the earth is full of His praise…You went forth for the salvation of Your people…The Lord God is my strength…”

Habakkuk’s transformation is obvious. He moves from humble and honest questioning, to watchful waiting and listening, to reverent worship. It is a journey of faith, a familiar cycle. But as I went back through and wrote the phrases and words that describe God, I realized that though Habakkuk is different in each chapter, God is the same. He does not change. Yes, I realize how elementary this principle is. “Wow, Jana, you’re a genius – God doesn’t change! I can’t believe you came up with that!” But seeing this familiar truth in this context, I realized anew just how awesome that fact is.

God is so steadfast. Growing in faith is a process of my changing – it comes as my understanding of God in His holiness and sovereignty and goodness is expanded and solidified. What hope there is in serving an unchanging God who delights in revealing Himself to us so that we might be changed and our faith might grow! And the end result of Habakkuk’s journey – and what I hope in for myself as well – is, no matter the circumstances, to “rejoice in the Lord, to be joyful in God my Savior” – because He does not change. (3:18)

1 comment: